- [Question] Weird techniques used by "Arabic Guitar" player Omar Khorshidby /u/Rarmurzz on February 27, 2020 at 4:37 am
Video Weird way of holding the pick (which I would really like to know) and a few things which have really confused me that he does at around 3:50 and 4:27. He plucks the E string with this left thumb at 2:31, pull offs with his fingers pulling off facing up, and he also seems to be using his forefinger and thumb to be plucking some of the strings at 0:36. Volume swells at 6:13, unique rhythm, usually by playing the chord and muting it with a rolling motion and he plays above the neck pickup giving a percussive tone supported by his palm muting and dynamics. I tried looking up his technique and slowing the video down to try to analyze it but to no avail. Maybe some of you can have better luck with figuring whatever he was doing. The video is also fairly delayed, I fixed this with about -14 seconds of offset in Tranpose! using GStreamer. submitted by /u/Rarmurzz [link] [comments]
- [GEAR] cleaned super glue off my Gretsch Electromaticby /u/fabuleft on February 27, 2020 at 4:10 am
DISCLAIMER: IF YOU ATTEMPT THIS YOURSELF, TEST A SMALL AND/ OR HIDDEN SPOT FIRST JUST IN CASE! With that out of the way, hello from my first post! I bought a used Gretsch 5420 from a pawn shop at the end of last year for what I think was a great deal. Maybe partially because it's a lefty, which likely don't move too quickly in general let alone a pawn shop, but also because the previous owner had repaired the neck strap peg with super glue, and badly. Looked like a whole chunk came out and was slathered with goop and crammed back in. glued strap peg Other than that, the guitar is beautiful! Way nicer than my skill calls for, but I was looking for a hollow body electric and the deal was too good to pass up. Anyways, I lived with it for a few months, kinda tried to pick at it with my nails occasionally, but nothing. It finally bugged me enough to Google solutions, and I read that acetone, which can usually be found in nail polish remover, will soften super glue but not hurt polyurethane clear coat. After more research to make sure that's what my baby had, I decided to go for it. Here was my process: Again, if you're trying this, pick a hidden spot first, like under a pickup or something just in case! First I soaked a q-tip in nail polish remover and dabbed it on a small section of glue. I let it sit for about 5 minutes, wiped it with paper towel, then picked it with my fingernails and a section came off! I was thrilled! I did that a few more times, then got to some more substantial glue buildup. I used a combo of cotton balls/ face scrubbing wipes (luckily my wife had all these in stock) soaked in nail polish remover, set them on the glue spot, and watched tv/ played my other guitar for 10-20 minutes, wiped and picked, and repeated. Eventually I was able to get the strap peg screw out and clean the buildup around the hole. I was pleasantly shocked to find a pretty normal strap peg hole underneath! I have no idea what the P.O. did or why. nail polish remover strap peg removed finished product full picture I probably spent about 2 hours doing this after my wife had gone to sleep, between soaking/ chilling/ picking. I also gave the entire guitar a good cleaning afterward to make sure all the acetone was removed just in case. I loved the guitar already, but it's even more perfect now! Really happy with how it came out and wanted to share. submitted by /u/fabuleft [link] [comments]
- [GEAR] Epiphone Ultra II audio jack plateby /u/dbdavec68 on February 27, 2020 at 4:02 am
Since it's impossible to find replacement plates, I had some made. They are plastic with a gold face. They are $20 with free shipping in the US. I'm just trying to cover my costs. submitted by /u/dbdavec68 [link] [comments]
- [PLAY] A Storm in the Distance (an instrumental piece I wrote in 11/4)by /u/davebertaud on February 27, 2020 at 3:52 am
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqMaP1OTwFs This is an instrumental track written in 11/4. It was kind of tricky layering track upon track. It's supposed to be wistful at first, then uplifting towards the end. I absolutely love melody and harmony and would like to make music my job. Ideally, I'd like to become a film/video game composer someday. Any feedback is tremendously appreciated! submitted by /u/davebertaud [link] [comments]
- [question] Delay vs reverb?by /u/TP_33 on February 27, 2020 at 2:32 am
Im gonna buy a new pedal sometime this week and was wondering you guys opinion is , i mostly play hard rock , and what would be a better fit in my rig , plus what pedals in those categories do you recommend? submitted by /u/TP_33 [link] [comments]
- [QUESTION] Songs that make you weep?by /u/Ripped_Glutes on February 27, 2020 at 2:25 am
Cant believe I'm putting this out there but ive been focused on learning some acoustic classics lately. Jim Croces "I have a name" has been on my list. broke down mid session. not the first time on this song either. southern cross is another one that gets me. submitted by /u/Ripped_Glutes [link] [comments]
- [DISCUSSION] How do I convince myself that I don’t suck?by /u/ryanino on February 27, 2020 at 2:19 am
I know I’m not as bad as I make myself out to be but I still struggle with confidence. At every band practice I’ve ever gone to I was always the inferior guitarist. I feel like in private I’m solid but when I play with other people and see how much better they are, it kinda causes me to freeze up. submitted by /u/ryanino [link] [comments]
- [QUESTION] Any tips on how to sing while playing?by /u/Goon_Bug on February 27, 2020 at 2:16 am
4-month player. I’ve learned about 50 songs since then, but I can’t seem to be able to sing while playing. My fingers just start to strum to the syllables of the words instead of the sound of the music, totally ruining the flow. Any techniques I could use? submitted by /u/Goon_Bug [link] [comments]
- [Question] Anybody know the color of the body of my guitar?by /u/elspiderdedisco on February 27, 2020 at 1:19 am
Hopefully a simple q. I’ve got a 70s telecaster deluxe reissue in brown, very similar to this one I’m curious about what the body looks like underneath the brown “gloss polyester” finish - anyone have a clue? Pure wood grain? I’m curious about rubbing off the brown to get the grain and staining it some other shade. Anyone ever do this before? submitted by /u/elspiderdedisco [link] [comments]
- [GEAR] Picked up a 1966 Gibson LG-1 today from a fella here in townby /u/Darkll on February 27, 2020 at 1:12 am
I've always wanted one of these small body Gibson's. I nearly bought a very similar model about 5 years ago, but when I went home to think about it someone in Maine bought it out from under me on the shops website! When I found this one, I just had to get it. Great little blues guitar! The guy I bought it from had it sitting in his closet for decades. He was nice enough to change the strings, but they were pretty old. I also had to tighten up the truss rod a bit. Once I got it set up, it's been a dream to play. 1966 Gibson LG-1 submitted by /u/Darkll [link] [comments]
- [QUESTION] Switching to 8 gauge from 10?by /u/FrostyGhost1086 on February 27, 2020 at 12:58 am
I have decided I want to switch to 8 gauge strings over 10's, could this damage my guitar? Could I possibly need to make serious modifications to my guitars set-up? What should I expect? submitted by /u/FrostyGhost1086 [link] [comments]
- [GEAR] [REPAIR] I found a crack in my acoustic that goes through the body and I don’t know what to do.by /u/CptFenix on February 27, 2020 at 12:09 am
I was looking at my Taylor 214ce dlx and notice a crack in the finish. I have a few of these so it didn’t raise any alarms at first. But upon further inspection it was a crack that went from the finish through the raw wood on the inside of the cavity. How screwed am I? submitted by /u/CptFenix [link] [comments]
- [QUESTION] amp picking up radio interference?by /u/throwwaykasksksllsls on February 26, 2020 at 11:48 pm
Ok so little creeped out, plugged in my guitar and started hearing a voice come through my peavey. Sounds like some sort of religious radio broadcast coming through. Has anyone had this? Is this normal? Nothing is plugged in except my guitar and pedals submitted by /u/throwwaykasksksllsls [link] [comments]
- [PLAY] Elvis Presley - Can't Help Falling In Love - Fingerstyle acoustic guitar coverby /u/JG-Music on February 26, 2020 at 11:44 pm
I just uploaded a guitar cover of this good old Elvis song, hope you guys enjoy it! :)https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zv_-Yh7fXa0 submitted by /u/JG-Music [link] [comments]
- [NEWBIE] My grandmother gave me this guitar a while ago and today it fell and the head brokeby /u/vahzy on February 26, 2020 at 10:59 pm
Is there any way to repair it? Is it something I could do myself? http://imgur.com/gallery/ziCEwD5 submitted by /u/vahzy [link] [comments]
- [PLAY] Sweet Child O' Mine - Guitar Coverby /u/lecturekkk on February 26, 2020 at 9:26 pm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dujfVgi5AU I made a new year resolution on Jan 1st 2018 to start learning guitar and to be able to play this song. It took me 2 year and I finally recorded a revision that I am comfortable putting online. I learned a few improv riffs from other youtubers and mix it together with the song. Hope you all will like it. submitted by /u/lecturekkk [link] [comments]
- [GEAR] First American stratby /u/IlluminatiJanitor on February 26, 2020 at 6:27 pm
I've been playing for more than a decade now and always wanted a proper strat.. Every time I tried one I thought they were perfectly made for my hands and just felt super comfortable in general.. Few months ago I finally went to the largest music store in my country and tried every single strat they had and picked this one.. https://i.imgur.com/kYtJrk6.jpg An American Original 60s Strat.. I'm not a huge fan of the olympic white colour, wanted a sunburst but they didn't have it and this guitar felt too good to not get.. I'll just have to get used to it... I also did something really stupid, I thought the Fender logo had a plastic wrap over it, I tried to peel it off but apparently this model the logo is a sticker lol.. So now the logo is a little bit peeled off but whatever, have to get used to it as well.. Here is a little short song I wrote with a part played by the strat if you want to hear how it sounds, also featuring my super strat.. Think they sound great together. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgCQwNIOMy4 submitted by /u/IlluminatiJanitor [link] [comments]
- [Play] Some bluesy lick I came up with.by /u/RunAwaylou on February 26, 2020 at 6:27 pm
My phone's camera really sucks, but hopefully you think it sounds good. Feedback on whether it's good or bad is welcome. https://www.instagram.com/p/B9AUeVDFoyA/?igshid=1jy04gtghw2e5 submitted by /u/RunAwaylou [link] [comments]
- [QUESTION] How do I price a guitar for sale that I built/assembled myself?by /u/Hyemp on February 26, 2020 at 6:22 pm
I have no clue what to price my gold Tele as its custom built. How do I go about fair pricing? https://imgur.com/a/j33ppF4/ submitted by /u/Hyemp [link] [comments]
- [GEAR] Built my first guitarby /u/Poo_Fighters on February 26, 2020 at 5:10 pm
I finally finished my first guitar. It’s african Blackwood with a redwood top. Macassar ebony trim and bevels, with a paw print sound port. This this thing sings and sustains forever but is so responsive. I love it and wanted to share with you guys. https://imgur.com/a/2QVhZve Some were asking for a headstock photo. I don’t have the guitar with me and this is when it was a work in progress. https://imgur.com/iHmS5Qa submitted by /u/Poo_Fighters [link] [comments]
- [PLAY] Got a match? - Chick corea on guitarby /u/memes_maymays on February 26, 2020 at 3:09 pm
https://youtu.be/BX5wCOW1J5s I had a lot of fun learning the intro and main melody of this song even though it was hard asf, hope you enjoy! submitted by /u/memes_maymays [link] [comments]
- [GEAR] I changed my own pickupsby /u/Ron08004 on February 26, 2020 at 1:46 pm
http://imgur.com/a/HfJ0RHW Sorry, I'm new to this sub but wanted to share my experience changing my own pickups. I went from the stock emg 81-7/707 to fishman fluence modern 7 set in my Matt Heafy signature 7-string les paul. It took longer than I expected, doing it in between work shifts and learning as I go. The cleans are real bright and the distortion is just as nice. Hope you guys enjoy! submitted by /u/Ron08004 [link] [comments]
- [GEAR] My first electric!by /u/madeofgreat on February 26, 2020 at 1:44 pm
Here It ain't much but it feels amazing. It's a Fernandez Revolver submitted by /u/madeofgreat [link] [comments]
- Redbeard Effects Unveils Honey Badger Octave Fuzzby Michael Astley-Brown on February 26, 2020 at 12:52 pm
UK-based Redbeard Effects – a joint venture between Skindred guitarist Mikey Demus and ThorpyFX mastermind Adrian Thorpe – has unveiled its latest creation, the Honey Badger Octave Fuzz. The Honey Badger teams a high-gain fuzz with footswitchable sub-octave – there’s a choice of one or two octaves ...
- Taylor's Builder’s Edition 517 is an acoustic guitar like no otherby Sponsored Post on February 26, 2020 at 11:41 am
Guitarist and producer Justus West knows what to look for in an acoustic guitar. With its solid mahogany back and sides, torrefied Sitka spruce top and compound carve neck profile, the Builder’s Edition 517 blends a warm, expressive response with a seamless playing experience. Outfitted with ...
- [Question] when is it time to give up?by /u/paypay1337 on February 26, 2020 at 11:04 am
I’ve been playing for 2 years now and I still can’t play a single song. For the last week I’ve been practicing the intro to an extremely easy song (bad moon rising) and even that seems so be an impossible task. At this point I just get really sad when thinking about practicing. Do you think this is the point where I should just call it a as day and maybe move on to another instrument? submitted by /u/paypay1337 [link] [comments]
- [Discussion] Confession: when someone is obsessed with gear, I usually assume they can’t play very well.by /u/boredontheinternet1 on February 25, 2020 at 6:25 pm
I know this is NOT an accurate way to judge a persons ability and even if it was judgment has no place in music. However, I find that this is quite accurate in my experience. There seem to be players who are more interested in the tools to make music than the music itself. Oddly enough this only seems to exist in the guitar community. Edit: wow I didn’t realize people would feel so attacked by this. There is NOTHING wrong with it. I prefer to put that energy into my playing but if your priorities lie elsewhere you do you! submitted by /u/boredontheinternet1 [link] [comments]
- Fender Debuts Modern Jazzmaster in 3-Color Sunburstby Michael Astley-Brown on February 25, 2020 at 3:45 pm
Fender has announced the availability of the Modern Jazzmaster in 3-Color Sunburst, for a limited time only. Made in Japan (and only available in Japan, too), the Modern Jazzmaster features a three-piece alder body, while its neck offers a modern C-to-D neck, as well as a compound-radius rosewood ...
- Rock N Roll Relics Announces the Revengeby Michael Astley-Brown on February 24, 2020 at 3:34 pm
Rock N Roll Relics has announced the Revenge, a new electric guitar shape for the company, and its first offset, set-neck design. A range of specs will be available on the 'bird-meets-LP design, including mahogany, Spanish cedar or korina body woods, as well as aged finishes. All models boast a ...
- CGC 095: Irina Kulikovaby Simon Powis on February 23, 2020 at 6:51 pm
Irina joins the CGC Podcast to discuss her approach to learning music, performance anxiety, and her path as a musician. You can find out more about Irina at irinakulikova.com Also mentioned in this podcast: ukulelecorner.com
- TC Electronic Announces New Plethora X5 TonePrint Pedalboard Multi-Effects Pedalby Jackson Maxwell on February 21, 2020 at 6:56 pm
TC Electronic has announced a new multi-effects pedal, the Plethora X5 TonePrint Pedalboard. The long-rumored pedal features five sections of effects - with every TonePrint pedal TC Electronic has released to date. Each effects section features its own MASH footswitch. Users can create up to ...
- Mr. Black Announces New Mini Flanger Pedalby Jackson Maxwell on February 21, 2020 at 6:13 pm
Mr. Black has announced its new Mini Flanger pedal. Featuring three controls - width, recycle (regen) and rate - the Mini Flanger is based on classic BBD flange sounds. In terms of tones, the company says that the Mini Flanger spans "dark-wave to post-rock with aqueous whale-calls just a ...
- Gibson Reportedly Sends Cease and Desist to Kiesel Over Ultra V Designby Jackson Maxwell on February 21, 2020 at 5:31 pm
One of the biggest stories in the guitar industry last year was Gibson's high-profile lawsuit against Dean for trademark infringement. Though the results of the lawsuit - and Dean's countersuit - are still pending, Gibson is now reportedly pursuing a case against another big-name guitar brand, ...
- [PLAY] First-Take Friday! 21 Feb 2020: Metal in Dmby /u/BetterGhost on February 21, 2020 at 5:17 pm
Time to practice your chugga-chugga, meedly-meedly and squealies. This week we have a metal track in a minor key. This week's backing track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgpSPXpSUVE Metal in Dm, 120 BPM Scale Ideas: D natural minor D minor pentatonic Please support one another with feedback and encouragement. Rules: One take only. These posts are meant to provide feedback and thoughts on your musical ideas from improvisation, not to post something that's 100% polished. This is not a competition. Listen to other people's takes and share constructive criticism. There are no winners here, only people that want to improve their playing. submitted by /u/BetterGhost [link] [comments]
- Guitarist Looks for Tabs When Someone Requests a Steve Vai Songby Damian Fanelli on February 21, 2020 at 2:29 pm
Guitarist David Smash - whose YouTube moniker is Dovydas - was performing a solo gig at a brewery in Bradenton, Florida, one Tuesday night two years ago. Besides the fact that it was a slow night (his audience consisted of five people, which happens to the best of us), everything was going ...
- Blackstar Debuts New Fly 3 Acoustic Mini-Amplifierby Jackson Maxwell on February 20, 2020 at 6:42 pm
Blackstar has unveiled an acoustic version of its popular Fly 3 mini-amplifier. The Fly 3 Acoustic can, of course, add a bit of punch to a user's live acoustic sound, or act as a personal monitor via its angled back. It features two switchable EQ shapes - a flat response or a ...
- Watch This Incredible Acoustic Fingerstyle Cover of Guns N’ Roses’ "Sweet Child O’ Mine"by Jackson Maxwell on February 20, 2020 at 5:50 pm
We've seen plenty of impressive YouTube covers in our day, but this one has immediately set itself apart as an all-time great. Last week, Indonesian Youtuber Alip_Ba_Ta posted his unbelievable acoustic cover of the classic Guns N' Roses ballad, "Sweet Child O' Mine." In just nine days, the ...
- Washburn Announces New Nele Guitarby Jackson Maxwell on February 20, 2020 at 4:46 pm
Washburn and Extreme guitarist Nuno Bettencourt have unveiled their latest collaboration, the Nele guitar. Available in Standard and Deluxe versions, the Nele is a single-cut solid body built with a natural-grain swamp ash body, an extended cutaway, 22 frets, Seymour Duncan Vintage ...
- How to Get Kurt Cobain's Guitar Tones with 5 Cheap Pedalsby Jackson Maxwell on February 20, 2020 at 2:37 pm
Two years ago, in honor of what would have been Kurt Cobain's 51st birthday, our friends at Reverb.com decided to explore how exactly the late Nirvana frontman got his iconic guitar tone. In that video, "Nirvana Guitar Tones with 5 Cheap Pedals," you can see some of the best (and cheapest) pedals ...
- VHT Debuts New D-50H Amp Headby Jackson Maxwell on February 19, 2020 at 5:53 pm
VHT has debuted its new D-50H amplifier head. The new amp, VHT's spin on a 50-watt Dumble, features three 12AX7 preamps and two Ruby Tubes 6L6GC output tubes. Also onboard the amp is a single input, a 3-way bright switch, a mid boost switch, a jazz/rock voicing switch and treble, ...
- Lowden Announces New Wee Lowden 12 Fret Acoustic Guitarby Jackson Maxwell on February 19, 2020 at 4:52 pm
Lowden Guitars has announced the release of its new Wee Lowden 12 Fret acoustic model. The latest addition to the company's 12 Fret range, the Wee Lowden 12 Fret model features the same scale length as its 14-fret equivalent, but has a relocated bridge and a soundbox with a custom ...
- Tony Iommi Discusses His Legendary Black Sabbath Ax: the Jaydee “Old Boy” Custom SGby Christopher Scapelliti on February 19, 2020 at 2:38 pm
In this video presented by Guitar Star, Black Sabbath’s Tony Iommi shows and talks about the guitar he used for most of Sabbath’s long run: his John Diggins Jaydee “Old Boy” Custom. The guitar, which is an SG-bodied instrument, shows the telltale signs that come with years of use. “It’s been ...
- Bluegrass Trailblazer Billy Strings on How He Brings Psychedelic Stylings to the Genre on His New Albumby Jimmy Leslie on February 18, 2020 at 10:24 pm
“I love bluegrass the most,” Billy Strings says, “but I want to jam and play a bit of everything I like, from folk to funk.” On September 28, the day after Rounder Records released his sophomore album, Home, Strings was named the International Bluegrass Music Association’s Guitar Player and New ...
- Fender Reboots HM Strat Guitarby Jackson Maxwell on February 18, 2020 at 9:18 pm
Fender has unveiled its rebooted HM Strat guitar. Famous for its easy playability and Day-Glo finishes, the guitar - which was originally in production from 1988-1992 - was Fender's own answer to the rash of hot-rodded Strat impersonators that dominated the heavy metal scene of the era. Built ...
- Watch Eric Clapton, Roger Waters, Steve Winwood, Nile Rodgers and More Cover Cream, Blind Faith at Ginger Baker Tribute Concertby Jackson Maxwell on February 18, 2020 at 8:35 pm
Last night, February 17, Eric Clapton hosted a star-studded tribute concert for late Cream and Blind Faith drummer Ginger Baker at the Eventim Apollo Hammersmith in London. Playing a set chock-full of some of the bands' most legendary tunes, Clapton was joined by Roger Waters on bass for ...
- Jimmy Page Tricked You: Why You're Playing "Stairway to Heaven" Wrong - and How to Fix Itby Jesse Gress on February 18, 2020 at 2:49 pm
I know what you’re thinking: “I can already play that perfectly well, thank you very much!” And, of course, you can. You’ve got the intro and verse rhythm figures down pat, and can fly through Jimmy Page’s solo and outro fills with the greatest of ease. But there’s one quirky section of the song ...
- Billy Gibbons Gives A Private Blues Lessonby GP Editors on February 14, 2020 at 8:44 pm
Just over a decade ago, ZZ Top guitarist extraordinaire Billy F. Gibbons sat down with Gretsch Billy-Bo in hand to give us a lesson in playing the blues tunes that inspired him to play guitar. We not only got the lesson, we got it on video! Below, we’ve provided the video, along with the relevant ...
- Ritchie Blackmore Shows His Guitar Collectionby Christopher Scapelliti on February 14, 2020 at 8:12 pm
You may have never heard of a group called Roundabout, but you certainly have heard them perform under the name with which they became famous: Deep Purple. On April 20, 1968 the group played its first show as Deep Purple, at a gig in Taastrup, Denmark. It was guitarist Ritchie Blackmore who ...
- D'Addario Announces New Pro Plus Capoby Jackson Maxwell on February 14, 2020 at 6:55 pm
D'Addario has announced its new Pro Plus capo. Built with D'Addario's FlexFit technology, the Pro Plus is built to mimic the way a human finger frets a string. According to the company, this means there's no more unwanted buzzing, muted strings or intonation issues caused by varying capo ...
- Watch Les Paul Reveal Why He Never Liked the Gibson SGby Christopher Scapelliti on February 14, 2020 at 4:17 pm
In 1961, Gibson decided it was time to restyle the Les Paul model it had introduced in 1952. With Fender’s more modern-looking models eating into its sales, Gibson thought it might gain back some of its market share by giving the Les Paul a sleeker look. That decision didn’t sit well with the ...